Saturday, May 7, 2016

Are We Prepared for the Tough Times? Marriage Between Man and Woman Must be Defended!



 

Are We Prepared for the Tough Times?

Marriage Between Man and Woman Must be Defended!

 


President Russel M. Nelson an Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, spoke at the 2014 graduation commencement at Brigham Young University.  His speech was titled: “Disciples of Jesus Christ-Defenders of Marriage”. His speech was a little surprising to me. It wasn’t the typical “Now that you have graduated, go out there and conquer the world!” type of speech. It was more of a … “Good, you’ve worked hard, you know some stuff now, so go get married and start your families. Teach them, love them, and convert them to the Gospel of Jesus Christ” type of speech. 


President Nelson said, “you will likely encounter increasing debate about the definition of marriage. Many of your neighbors, colleagues, and friends will have never heard logical and inspired truths about the importance of marriage as God Himself defined it. You will have many opportunities to strengthen understanding of the Lord’s side of that argument by the eloquence of your example, both as individuals and as families.” I have to say that the topic of what defines a marriage and a family has hit my heart, my family’s heart, and the very soul of our home.


For me to continue, I need to disclose some very intimate information about my family. I have a magnificent and beautiful daughter who has declared herself as a lesbian. I have asked her permission to disclose this information as she knows where I stand on marriage and family. In fact, when asking her if I could reveal personal things about her, she stated: “Yep! Go right ahead!  I love you, Mom!” She knows what a tender topic this is for me.


The amazing thing is, she is on board with so many of the teachings we have in the Church about marriage and family. She loves the whole concept of what a family is. A mother and father raising children in a loving home, is still very much ideal to her.  She understands what a loving parents can do for a child, for she has stated that she is blessed with the parents she has been entrusted too.
 
With that being said, she has her struggles. She is still trying to find meaning in her life choices and decisions. Our family has made the decision to continue with love and support in her life endeavors, however, she also knows where her parents, older brothers, and other family members stand on the issue of marriage.  


The question has been asked, “Are you prepared for the tough times that are now upon us and which will only grow increasingly more challenging?” The answer is resounding yes! After much prayer, scripture study, pondering, and listening to our prophets and apostles, I can say that I can stand up for what is right. Marriage between a man and woman is ordained of God! It is the only way to have eternal blessings of families being together forever.


What I have recognized, is that the Savior love us all infinitely. His job is to bring all of Heavenly Father’s children back home to Him. It is hard for me to think that the Savior will fail in His endeavors. It is up to us to help our Savior, by standing up for marriage and family. We are His Disciples of the Lord!


Lastly, Our Heavenly Father loves all of His children regardless of their
 human struggles.  I know he loves my daughter. Because of those struggles that life has dealt to all of us, He provided a Savior to come and atone for all of us.  That has become clearer to me than ever before. Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, these difficult issues that  I and my family face, has been made easier to accept.




No comments:

Post a Comment