Friday, July 15, 2016

Thanksgiving and My Mother- Law




When I was newly married, my mother-in-law did something that made my life easier. She told me that I didn’t have to come to her house for Thanksgiving dinner. She expressed to me and her other in-law children that she didn’t want to stress everyone out for the holidays. To her, it just wasn’t worth the high emotions that can run at that time of year. She presented me with an alternative for Thanksgiving dinner. She asked me if I would like to join her for Thanksgiving Dinner on the Saturday following Thanksgiving Day. How could I refuse? She was allowing me to do whatever I pleased on Thanksgiving Day and I was happy to show up for a second wonderful dinner a few days later.  

In the book Helping and Healing Our Families: Principles and Practices Inspired by “The Family: Proclamation to The World” James M. Harper and Susanne Frost Olsen have a chapter entitled, Creating Healthy Ties with In-Laws and Extended Families. This chapter focuses on how we can make our marriages strong and weather the storms of “In-Law-Dom”. 

These authors teach that newly married couples need to form an identity of their own and not “cleave unto” their parents. My mother- in law was making this possible for me by allowing me to start my own traditions. However, the authors recommend that we should not forget our parents. “New husbands and wives must recognize that their spouses still have relationships with their parents.” This was important to me as well; I didn’t want to cut my husband off from his parents or family. With my mother-in-law’s proposal of a Saturday Thanksgiving dinner, it made it easy to do this.  I wanted to take the time and be with her and my husband’s family. 

   Credit
    An important factor in the In-Law relationship is communication. There shouldn’t be mixed  messages, or ignoring people. This can only lead to heartache and misery. It can also lead to marriage instability. Gloria Horsley listed five things that every parent-in-law should avoid they are: (Pg. 332.)     

  •  Give advice/ criticizing
  • Force children to explain why they didn’t make the big  family event
  • Take over the discipline of grand-children
  • Control everyone and try to influence everyone’s belief system
  • Have unclear and indirect communication

My mother-in-law did a wonderful job in communicating her expectations to me. I was able to evaluate for myself, whether her expectations were fair or not. Luckily, I felt she was more than fair. She was unselfish in giving up a beloved holiday dinner so her In-law children would not feel the pressure of accommodating her. This simple act went a long way with me and forming a relationship with my mother-in law.  I recognize now that it was her way of saying, “I want you to be happy in your marriage. I don’t want to come between you and my son in making small or large decisions in your marriage. This is your marriage to grow and nurture. Go and be happily married.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment